Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Paper Towns book review

I can't believe it. I actually finished a John Green book. After a failed attempt at reading The Fault in Our Stars last year, only making it to chapter 4 and having to put it back on my shelf and stop reading it because it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, I finished a John Green book. One of my friends recommended Paper Towns to me when she suggested that we should go see the movie together when it came out, but she didn't realize I hadn't even read the book yet. I didn't want to try to read another John Green book. I didn't like The Fault in Our Stars. When my friend realized I hadn't read Paper Towns yet, she told me I absolutely had to.
Me: No.
Her: But it's so good!
Me: I don't like John Green. I couldn't make it through TFIOS.
Her: It wasn't my favorite tbh, but PAPER TOWNS IS SO GOOD.

So there I was, with no money to buy the book, no library card to check it out, no money from my parents to buy the book. I had no way to get it. She told me she'd let me borrow it when we saw the movie together. But the next day, my grandparents came to visit and took me to the local bookstore, and I saw it on sale for $7.99. I decided to give it a try. They gave me money for the book, and I started reading it the next day. I was sooooo not disappointed.

Paper Towns follows Quentin Jacobsen, a high school nerd who's in love with Margo Roth Spiegelman, his neighbor since he was two. One night, she climbs through his bedroom window and tells him she needs him to take her on an adventure. This adventure consists of a revenge plot against her cheating boyfriend and backstabbing best-friend, and trips to random places, such as SeaWorld. The next day, however, Margo disappears. Quentin finds clues that he believes she's left for him, and goes on a fun and hilarious journey with his friends to find her.

This book was perfect. The characters were hilarious, the story was heartwarming, funny, and emotional. The last line made me want to read the book all over again. "Yes, I can see her almost perfectly in this cracked darkness." I can't believe how wrong I was about John Green. I flew through this book and I do not regret a second of it. I give this book 5/5 stars, and kudos to you, John Green, for writing a book that made me question why I ever put The Fault in Our Stars back on my shelf.

If you'll excuse me then, I'm gonna head to the bookstore and pick up every other book John Green has written, starting with Looking For Alaska.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment