Friday, January 1, 2016

December wrap-up

Hey everyone! I hope you're all having a great New Year! 2015 was a really good year. I got back into reading again after stopping in 2014 and read a LOT of books, and I started this blog! So today I have my December wrap-up for you guys.  It's definitely not much because of Christmas, New Year and my performances (I'll make a separate post about that later). Anyway, here you go!

1. Curse of the Sphinx by Raye Wagner
This book was sent to me by the author and I'm pretty sure the book was also self-published. It's about a girl named Hope who comes from a long line of Sphinxes. The god Apollo finds her mother and kills her. Hermes sends his demigod son to find her but upon meeting her, he falls in love. I gave this 4/5 stars and you can see the full review here on my blog. (www.themortaljessica.blogspot.com/2015/curse-of-sphinx-review.html)

2. Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
I bought this after reading Paper Towns over the summer and being completely obsessed with John Green's books. I read it just in time for Christmas! I really enjoyed this book. It's 3 different holiday stories that intertwine, starting when a girl named Jubilee's parents are arrested. She has to get on a train to her grandparents' but the train gets stuck in the snow. She decides to get off the train, and because of this, it sets off a chain of events that happen throughout the book, such as; Jubilee going home with a stranger and falling in love, a race to Waffle House to pick up some cheerleaders, and a girl getting stuck with the responsibility of her friend's pig. It was such a cute book and made me want to go back to the beginning and start it over again. 5/5 stars.

3. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
I didn't have a great experience with this book. My school's book club decided that we could choose whatever book we wanted to read this month that was from this year's KBA (Kentucky Bluegrass Award) nominees. Of the few that were on the list, I picked this and another book. After liking the other book I read a lot and listening to my friends say how good this book was, I was really excited to get into it. But once I started it, I wanted it to hurry up and end. I didn't really enjoy this book as much as my friends did and that's okay, not everyone likes it. I gave it 3/5 stars.

4. Skyborn by David Dalglish
Written by one of today's top fantasy writers, I received this book from the Hachette Book Group. I went into this thinking it was going to be pretty good, but it turned out to be better. It follows twins Bree and Kael Skyborn, whose parents were warriors called Seraphim. Their people live on an island in the sky, and Bree feels destined to fly, while Kael is unsure of where he belongs. When they get the chance to take the test that can make them part of the Seraphim, Bree jumps at the chance and Kael, still unsure, follows his sister anyway. I felt that this book had strong characters, an amazing plot, and the world-building was perfect. Highly recommend! 5/5 stars.

Well there you guys have it! As I said, it wasn't much, but I felt good about the books I read this month. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment