Friday, September 4, 2015

August wrap-up!

I didn't exactly read as many books this month as I'd hoped to, but I read a few. Let's get started so I don't waste time.

1. Eleanor and Park
This book... I can't even describe how much I loved it. It was so amazing. The story's set in the '80's and follows an Asian kid named Park who listens to punk rock and reads comics, and a chubby redhead named Eleanor who wears boyish, geekish clothes every day and lives in a bad household. She's the new girl, and when she shows up on the bus, everyone automatically makes fun of her. Park is the only one who lets her sit down somewhere, and this is the beginning of how they spark a relationship. This book was so adorable and sad and perfect and everything in between, except bad. It was nowhere near bad. 10/5 stars, I loved it so much.

2. Clockwork Angel
Yeah, I guess I'm a little late on the Infernal Devices train. I read the Mortal Instruments a couple years ago and absolutely loved that series, and for some reason I just kinda strayed from the Infernal Devices, mostly because it got quite a bit more hype than the Mortal Instruments. But I noticed everyone seemed to love it more, so I picked it up. The book is about a girl named Tessa who finds out that she has a certain power: shape-shifting. But when she changes, she can access the person's emotions. She ends up in the Institute, which is basically a shelter for Shadowhunters, Nephilim who make it their mission to rid the world of demons and other evil things. I really enjoyed this book, it was fast-paced and gave you a lot of insight to London and it was just awesome. 5/5 stars.

3. Nightfall
*I received this as an electronic ARC from the publisher on First to Read* This was an interesting story. I liked it a lot! It's about a girl named Marin and her brother Kana who live on an island that changes. Every 28 years, light comes, but it causes the ocean's tide to roll in so they have to leave before it happens. But Kana and Marin's friend goes missing so they have to do everything they can to find her before the island changes. I give this book 4/5 stars.

4. City of Boneheads
*I received this as an e-ARC from the author Steve Lookner* This book is a parody of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, which is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series. I'm not really gonna bother with the summary considering that I'n pretty sure most of you readers have already read the Mortal Instruments series, so if you enjoyed it or even if you didn't, definitely go pick this up! It was hilarious and I promise you will enjoy basically any Steve Lookner parody. Always great! 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment