Thursday, December 10, 2015

Curse of the Sphinx review

I received this book a few weeks ago from the author, Raye Wagner, for review. I gotta say, this is definitely a review I'm proud to write. (I'm proud to write all of my reviews but you know what I mean.) I just finished it and I was SO not disappointed. I went into this book expecting it to be basically a Percy Jackson wannabe, but I requested it for review after seeing Jessethereader's review for this book on his Youtube channel. (https://youtu.be/RaW9MGANV1Q)
I like reading books about mythology so I didn't really care if it seemed like Percy Jackson or not. Once I started it, it did remind me of it a little, but it turned out to be such a completely different story.

In Curse of the Sphinx, Hope Nicholas is a sphinx, a lion-bird-human creature. It's a curse that's been following her family for thousands of years. She and her mom move around a lot to keep themselves safe from Skia (Hades's minions) and Apollo. When Hope's mom is killed, she has to move again and learn what it's like to live on her own, have friends, and fall in love, all the while trying to keep her secret from everyone she cares about and fight off Skia that are hunting her.

This book seriously kept me on edge with every single page. I honestly didn't like Athan's character sometimes, he was pretty adorable when he was being all romantic and stuff but he could be pretty arrogant sometimes. Reminded me of Harry Style's character in After. Always so full of himself and rude if you don't tell him everything you do. (If you haven't read After, DON'T. Just don't. Went into it thinking it would be a cute fanfiction about Harry Styles, but no. Noooo.) anyway, I loved the use of Greek mythology in this. But isn't a sphinx Egyptian mythology? If so, great mix of mythology. All in all, 4/5 stars. I loved this book! I'm probably gonna get the prequel novella, Origin of the Sphinx (and you should too.) Thanks to Raye Wagner for the book! Can't wait for the sequel! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment